Applications for Missions occurring between 02 January 2015 and 30 April 2015
deadline for applications 5th December 2014, download call for applications
All STSM activities must occur in their entirety within the dates specified above.
COST strives to support European scientists in their networking activities by Short-Term Scientific Missions (STSMs) that will allow scientists to learn from an institution in another COST country. STSMs involve visiting a partner institution for a period of up to 3 months to improve closer cooperation and exchange, to develop capacity building and joint research, publications, and preparation of future projects. The following detailed information is withdrawn from COST VADEMECUM (pages 32-36).
Who can apply?
- STSM applicants are PhD or post-doctoral researchers, or employed by or officially affiliated to an institution or legal entity (public or private, as Home Institution);
- COST Action IS1311 INTERFASOL subscrives COST strategy towards increased support of Early-Stage Researchers(ESR) (COST 295/09). Therefore, the participation of ESRs in STSM is particularly encouraged. An applicant can be considered as being an ESR when the time that has elapsed between the award date of the applicant’s PhD and the date of the applicant’s first involvement in the COST Action IS1311 INTERFASOL does not exceed 8 years. PhD students are also eligible to partake in STSMs.
- The table below (see category A) details the possible STSM scenarios available to the respective Researcher. The Host institution (category B) concerns the institution/organisation that will host the successful applicant.
A) Researcher in a Home Institution
|B) To Perform a STSM in a Host Institution|
|Located in an institution in a Participating COST Country or Cooperating State||In another Participating COST Country or Cooperating StateIn an approved NNC institution*
In an approved IPC institution*
In an approved Specific organisation*
|Located in an approved NNC institution*||In a Participating COST Country or Cooperating State|
|Located in an approved European RTD Organisation*||In a Participating COST Country or Cooperating State|
* – For the time being, there are no such cases in COST Action IS1311 INTERFASOL
Amount of grants
- STSM can have a duration of between 5 days and 90 days (and up to 180 days if the applicant is an ESR).
- The financial support on offer is a contribution to the overall expenses incurred during the STSM and may not necessarily cover all of the associated outgoings. Financial support is limited to cover travel and subsistence expenses and is paid as a grant.
- During an STSM neither the MC, nor the COST Office nor the Grant Holder may be considered as an employer. Grantees must make their own arrangements for all health, social, personal security and pension matters.
- The following funding conditions apply and must be respected:
1. Travel expenses cannot exceed EUR 500;
2. For accommodation and meal expenses, a maximum amount of EUR 160 per day can be considered;
3. A grantee can be afforded up to a maximum of EUR 2500;
4. For ESR (with a duration of more than 91 days), a maximum amount of EUR 3500 can be afforded to the grantee;
5. STSM activities must occur in their entirety within the dates specified in this call.
- The amounts granted for each individual STSM will be determined during the evaluation process.
How to apply?
The applicant is responsible for choosing and contact the Host institution and for organizing
the application process. He/she has to complete the online application form (https://eservices.
cost.eu/stsm) and sent it to the MC Chairs and to the STSM coordinator, attaching
the following documents:
- Publication list;
- Work plan;
- Written agreement letter from the host institution;
- Support letter from the home institution;
- Motivation letter, highlighting the importance of the mission for this COST Action, and for his/her own training and career.
The selection of applicants is based on the scientific scope of the STSM application which must clearly compliment the overall objectives of the Action.
When to apply?
The current call is open till 5th December 2014. Feedback will be given until 19th December 2014. STSMs are eligible within the period: 2nd January 2015 – 30th April 2015.
MC Chair and STSM Coordinator
Prof Marie Anne Fontaine
University of Porto
Prof Dr Dieter Ferring
University of Luxembourg